Wednesday, November 24, 2010

suddenly a light descended

having this wonderful opportunity to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has strengthened my testimony in the gospel of Jesus Christ. but how did i get here?
   i remember as a child always going to church and never really putting up a fight to not go, because i knew that it was the right thing to do and where i needed to be. however, i never really had a strong faith in what i was learning. my parents taught me all the time about the gospel, and so i leaned on their testimonies and faith for most of my life. i had a feeling it was all true, that of the Book of Mormon and that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and His son Jesus Christ and that there was a living prophet on the earth today, but i did not know for myself.
   when i moved away from home for the first time and no longer had my parents to lean on i realized that i must do something, so i did. i kept going to church because i felt safe and i made friends with church people, because i knew that they were good people. however, i ended up leaning on them instead of my parents.
   then came the day that i moved to Montana away from everyone i knew and everything i found security in.being away from all that i knew was a difficult thing for me and the first time i had ever done anything without someone. this is when i came to know for myself all that i had once relied on everyone else for was true, and i knew it for me. i moved to Montana for a summer job after i had gotten my associates degree, and i did not know a single soul. i found out that there was a Latter-Day Saint church that was only 20 minutes away from my work, so i found security. however, i had to find peace for myself and safety as well through other means, so i began reading the scriptures diligently and praying more fervently. i found saftey and refuge from the storms of life.  i turned to the Lord for answers and i sought a way to know for myself. i would often ask, "did Joseph Smith truly see God the Father and His son Jesus Christ?", "is the Book of Mormon another testament of Jesus Christ?". Heavenly Father did indeed answer my prayers and through many different ways. one way was going to church, there was a day that i wanted to quit and move home and not stay, but i remember so vividly that day that the spirit taught me so much about why i was there and that i have security, and that i was not alone. i came to know for myself, because i asked Heavenly Father and i searched out the answers through scripture study and going to church and fervnet prayer.
     now i am here on a mission to tell the world, well michigan, that Joseph Smith did see God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ and that the Book of Mormon is another testamnet of Jesus Christ. i know that Thomas S. Monson is the prophet on the earth today, and he leads and guides us and recieves revelation from God just as Moses and Abraham did. i know that the preisthood, the authority to act in God's name, is once again on the earth today. i know that the fullness of the gospel is here today. i know that it is true with all my heart because i have asked my Heavenly Father, and He answered my prayer.
   you to can find out if it is true, just ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment